American Heritage Car Show, May 26, 2018
It started out grey and gloomy and a little drizzly, but improved as the day progressed into a beautiful day. As planned, the Poway Cruisers participated in the American Heritage Car Show at Grape Day Park in Escondido. The show benefits the Escondido Historical Society & Museum.
We started the day at the Mercado Shopping Center in Rancho Bernardo at 7:30 AM with 9 cars mustering for the drive to Escondido:
- Jerry Badders in his ’67 Chevelle,
- Gerrie & Mary Ann Griffin in their ’30 Ford Model A Sedan,
- Gerrie’s friend Jay and his wife in a Chevrolet C-10 Pickup,
- Bill & Lynn Bryan in their ’71 Olds Cutlass,
- Sam Grinceri and his ’32 Ford Roadster,
- Greg Thiem in his ’36 Ford Coupe,
- Dick Blank in his ’55 Ford Crown Victoria,
- John McDowell and his ’38 Ford 2dr Sedan,
- Joyce and George Cowman in their ’37 Buick.The group departed as planned at 7:30, and took about 15 minutes for a leisurely drive to the park. We lucked out and secured a great place to park right in the middle of the show. On the way to the show we picked up Pete and Coralee Walker in their ’47 Ford 2dr Sedan Delux. Several more members made the show later:
- Ed & Carol Asbury in their ’67 GTO,
- Dale Vermillion and his ’67 Corvette Roadster
- Joe Musick and his Dad in their ’69 Opel GTWe set up camp and settled in for the day. Stayed cool most of the morning, but no more drizzle. The food and drink available was good, with pancake/sausage breakfast provided by one of the service clubs, and very good venders offering hotdogs, hamburgers, Tri-tip, and sausage lunches. No one went hungry.I’m guessing that around 200 cars participated, so the turnout was good even with the gloomy weather. The Historical Society provided a nice selection of raffle prizes and a 50/50 drawing. Awards were presented to 15 participants, with George & Joyce Cowman’s 1937 Buick Special Coupe taking home a People Choice Award.
All around, turned out to be a very nice fun day in Escondido. Once again, the Poway Cruisers did bring the fun!
President & Event Coordinator
Poway Cruisers Car Club